Is it possible to cut the piece of glass that sits on my coffee table?

I have a coffee table, and the piece of glass that makes the rests on top of it is too big for my liking. The glass is close to a 1/2 inch thick. Is it possible to get this cut, if so, where? I live in Lakeview, Chicago. Any suggestions are appreciated, and so are any other solutions that I could try, such as alternatives to glass that I could buy or make to fit.