Slovenian Philharmonic (Slovenska filharmonija)

Slovenian Cultural Trails
Slovenia Weekly, July 6th 1999

Slovenian Philharmonic (Slovenska filharmonija) Ljubljana, Kongresni trg 10

The Philharmonic has an important place in Slovenian cultural history. On the site of the present building, there used to be a theatre (later destroyed in a fire), in which the first theatre performance in the Slovenian language was staged back in 1789.

Since the establishment of Academia Philharmonicorum in 1701, which later became the Philharmonic Society and then the Slovenian
Philharmonic, this has been the working place of the most famous local, and many important foreign, musicians, including honorary members of the Academia. The existing Philharmonic building was constructed in 1881-82 according to the plans of Greek architect Adolf Wagner.

The historical building, outstanding mostly due to its location at the lower part of the Congress Square (Kongresni trg) opposite the Ursu-line Church and next to the mighty University, is adorned by beautifully etched glass panels set into the entrance doors, which were playfully used at the end of the last and beginning of this century by architects to decorate public and wealthy private houses. Copies of the original glass panels, safely kept elsewhere.

Close up of one of the etched glass panels set into the entrance doors were made using the original technique by Aleš Lombergar, who also restored the massive larch doors and original metal parts immediately prior to President Clinton’s visit to Ljubljana.

During earlier efforts made to arrange Ljubljanica bank and access points to it, the rear of the building was designed by the famous Ljubljana architect Jože Plečnik.
Source: Ministry of Culture, Cultural Heritage Office of the Republic of Slovenia Photo: Gregor Pohleven