What do you call the glass ball that seems to emit lightnings, creates static usually found in science fair?

the glass ball with a metal rod inside that seems to emit lightnings and when touched the lightnings seems to concentrate on the part on which your hand touches. it also creates static energy when you places your hair near it. It is usually found on science fair or in science museums.Please help.It’s for my child’s project. Thnx