Back glass vs Back windshield?

I have heard several people call the window in the back of a car a back windshield, which I think sounds retarded for the simple fact that my dad replaces glass for a living, and that is what he always called and ordered. He never called in an order for a back windshield…it just sounds confusing. Which is correct? Why the variation….people calling them 2 different things?